3rd Oekonux Conference
Project Oekonux does research on the economical, political and social forms of Free Software. Similar to the development of Free Software, different people with different reasons and different approaches get together in this project to build something new. One question, a lot of people are interested in, is, whether and if so, how, the principles of the development of Free Software can serve as a basis for a new society.
The 3rd Oekonux conference "Wealth by copyleft -- Creativity in the digital age" takes up the diversity of the project. Among other things it aims at learning something about how the example of Free Software is perceived and realized in other fields. Together with our co-organizers Bureau for Philosophy in Vienna we are proud to welcome more than 30 invited contributors which will share their experience, studies and insights with us on topics like
- Free Software communities, hackers, and self-organization from various sociological, cultural historical, and philosophical perspectives
- Organization and domination in Free Projects
- Experiences from Free Software projects
- Free Software and political movements
- Various perspectives on Free Hardware, Indymedia, and Wikis
- Free Software and Internet in the non-industrialized world
- The role of compensation and exchange for Free Activities
- "Intellectual property" and Free Publication in science
- Fundamental changes in the contemporary world of work and production and their possible meaning
Moreover the program of the conference contains the public presentation of the Austrian version of the CreativeCommons license as well as an art project. Please see the program page for detailed information.
After the inspiration of the 1st and 2nd Oekonux Conference we hope and expect that in an open atmosphere critical voices as much as the enthusiasm of the hackers once more will merge into a creative process. We hope and expect, that again the wide range of presentations contributed by German speaking and international participants will lead to new insights and broader understanding for all. We hope and expect, that as before we will have a lot of fun :-) .
3rd Oekonux Conference
May 20th-23rd, 2004
Department of Philosophy at Vienna University